NEW ADVENTURES 2024 PROGRAM
The New Adventures residency program of ICK Dans Amsterdam offers emerging choreographers the opportunity to explore, develop and deepen their artistic practice during a four-week residency, resulting in a public work-in-progress-presentation.
In order to apply for the New Adventures residency program please fill in the online form before January 8th 2024. The form can be filled in Dutch or English.
< Registration is Closed>
NEW ADVENTURES RESIDENCY PROGRAM 2024
During the New Adventures residency program, ICK Dans Amsterdam / Space for Dance Art becomes a laboratory for innovation in dance and movement. The residency creates the possibility to research a new and urgent idea or to take previous research to a next level. The period ends with two public work-in-progress presentations, in which the makers open up their process and share the outcome with the audience. From the applicants, four research projects will be invited for a compact four-week residency period. To stimulate artistic exchanges during the residency, two residencies will run parallel to each other. Artists are encouraged to reflect on each other’s work, go into dialogue with each other and with ICK to exchange ideas, experiences and knowledge.
The resident will receive artistic advice and guidance as well as support in production, publicity and promotion, and technical facilities. We offer professional coaching and expertise in the development of the concept and the research before, during and after the creative process at ICK. We offer studio space and two public presentations at Space for Dance Art or Cultuurhuis De Vlugt in Amsterdam Nieuw-West, as part of a double bill. Through these presentations we aim to facilitate encounters with other professionals, programmers and audiences and enable dialogue in an informal, open way. The resident will have the chance to build a portfolio of the work with professional photography and video-registration. The residency ends with a reflective evaluation, both verbal and written.
The resident will receive a budget to cover basic out of pocket costs. Take into account that the budget is modest and needs to be shared when applying with more than one artist. We cannot cover (international) travel costs or housing/accommodation during the residency. Priority is given to artists based in the Netherlands.
- The first residency period is planned to take place from 8 April – 4 May 2024, the presentations being on 3 and 4 May 2024.
- The second residency period is planned to take place from 11 November – 7 December 2024, the presentations being on 6 and 7 December 2024.
- Is looking for time, space and reflection to develop an urgent research idea
- Works physically and departs from the language of the body,
- Has a curiosity for other practices and is eager to engage and exchange with the practices, knowledge and expertise offered by ICK
- Is interested to exchange with fellow artists within ICK and to contribute to the Amsterdam dance community
- Is working as a professional artist (either post-graduate or self-taught),
- Is currently at the beginning of their professional career, and has produced some choreographic work
- Is linked to or based in Amsterdam
- Is willing to open up the work process and present to audience and peers with a presentation of?max. 30 minutes.
We are not looking for a specific dance style but encourage the development of individual artistic signatures in the universal language of dance. Artists with an interest in other cultures, genres, artforms, community building, societal issues, inclusive practices, urban matters and innovation (for example the use of new technologies but also new methodologies, or other) are welcome to apply. The artistic choices for how to develop work during this residency are not pre-defined, except that the focus of the work departs from the language of the (moving) body. The maker can decide to work only on movement research, at the borders of dance or in interdisciplinary collaborations.
Earlier selected artists were a.o. Ainhoa Hernández Escudero, Kaide Gonzalez, Liza Sulaiman, Wojciech Grundzinski, Loraine Dambermont, Collectief MAMM, Roshanak Morrowatian, Denden Karadeniz, Robin Nimanong, Charles Pas and TREVOGA collective.
ICK Dans Amsterdam / Space for Dance Art
ICK supports the development of new choreographic talent. ICK offers a broad scope of knowledge, facilities and possibility for exchange enhanced by the ongoing programs and research. We focus on coaching, supporting, (co)producing and presenting the new generation of choreographers who want to explore and shift the borders of the discipline. They do this from their own perspective of the body as a vessel to communicate, in all its diversity, strength and vulnerability. ICK brings together talented makers who are open to society and eager to bring their art to audiences. We offer the residents to deepen their artistic practice, while also entering in dialogue with the legacy and bodily research of Emio Greco and Pieter C. Scholten. Makers who are interested to exchange with other artists and programs offered by ICK can get the opportunity to develop themselves further as critical, autonomous dance-artists with their own artistic signature. ICK counts on a wide network and a strong connection to other relevant organizations, both in Amsterdam, nationwide and international.
Please complete the online form before January 8, 2024 containing,
- Short CV, biography with portrait photo
- Working title of the project/performance
- Motivation and urgency (Where does the plan come from, how does this fit into the context of your development and why is doing this important now. What do you want to achieve. Why a residency at ICK and in what way does your research fit into the context of ICK)
- Two images of previous work or relevant imagery of the research project
- One relevant videolink of previous work (No WeTransfer)
- Website/URL’s where more information can be found
We aim to communicate to the applicants by the 4th of March 2024 who will be invited to elaborate on their ideas during a conversation with the artistic team of ICK, after which the final selection will take place for 2024.
The selection will take place by a jury existing of members of the artistic team of ICK Dans Amsterdam, complemented by dance professionals and artists from the field.
For more information please contact us by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org